Monday, October 17, 2011

I made Chef Chu's Ma Po Tofu at Home

Chef Chu's is a white tablecloth Chinese restaurant located in Los Altos, CA. One year, I received the Chef Larry Chu's cookbook for Christmas:


One of my favorite Chinese dishes is Ma Po Tofu. I found the recipe for Ma Po Tofu in the cookbook. First you start out by cooking some ground pork:


After the pork is slightly brown, I added some chili paste and garlic:



I let that cook for a couple of minutes, then I added the sauce. It consists of chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, Chinese rice wine, and a little bit of salt.


I then added a block of tofu chopped into cubes. I let everything braise for 5 minutes. Afterwards, I turned off the heat and added some cornstarch to thicken the liquid into a nice tasty sauce:


 and sesame oil and chili oil for a little extra flavor:



the end resulted in a tasty and spicy Schezuanese China favorite: Ma Po Tofu!





No comments:

Post a Comment